Tips on Hiring a Quality Child Custody Lawyer
Divorce can be a difficult, emotionally traumatic experience all around. Add children into the mix, and it becomes even more complicated. If a divorcing couple cannot agree upon the specifics on how to handle splitting up time with their children, the courts must get involved. At this point, it is imperative you hire a qualified and tenacious Boise child custody lawyer.
When looking for a child custody lawyer, ensure you find one with experience. A general practice attorney may not be your best bet in a situation important as this. Your child’s best interests are no doubt your number-one priority.
When you meet with your potential Boise family law attorney, keep the following things in mind to determine a good fit:
- Personality. Do your and the attorney’s personalities mesh? Do you understand each other’s priorities and goals?
- Seek advice from others. Ask for referrals from others going through similar cases. Your state bar can also give referrals.
- Experience. How many child custody cases has the attorney handled? You want someone with lots of experience and who is familiar with the local court system and current laws.
- Fee structure and consultation. How will the attorney expect to get paid? Is there a free consultation? Ensure you understand all fees upfront so there are no surprises later.
- Background check. Check your state’s attorney directory to confirm the attorney is in good standing with the state bar.
- Don’t be afraid to fire your attorney. If your attorney is not meeting your needs, don’t be afraid to find someone who will. Remember, this is your child and your family. They deserve only the best.
At Foley Freeman Attorneys at Law, we can answer any questions you may have about family law and child custody. Our goal is to provide you with effective representation to ensure the best outcome for you and your family.