Treasure Valley Family Law Attorneys Assisting with Modifications & Enforcement

Foley Freeman assists clients in all matters related to divorce, including the modification and enforcement of custody and support orders. Our firm has been a mainstay in Meridian, Idaho for more than 30 years, and has continuously been a resource for southern Idaho clients with family legal concerns.

Modification of Child Custody & Support Orders in Idaho

Before a divorce can be finalized, issues such as child custody, visitation, and child support need to be resolved. The law understands, however, that life marches forward, often in directions unforeseen at the time of divorce. When a significant or “material change” in circumstances affects the operability of a custody or support arrangement, parents can seek a modification of the court order. Possible examples of a material change in circumstances include:

  • A custodial parent moves out-of-state, or far from the other parent, so that visitation is disrupted
  • The child develops special health or educational needs
  • A parent’s work schedule no longer accommodates the visitation arrangement
  • A parent’s job loss or promotion
  • Remarriage
  • Drinking, drug use, and other safety issues regarding the child

At Foley Freeman, we understand that dealing with an unworkable custody or support arrangement can cause great stress for parents and harm to children. For clients in need of a custody or support modification, we work as quickly as possible so that appropriate changes are made to meet current needs.

Enforcement of Child Support Orders

If a noncustodial parent does not pay child support as ordered by a court, he or she is subject to enforcement measures to collect regular and past-due payments. In Idaho, enforcement measures include:

  • Withholding amounts from paychecks, workers’ compensation payments, or unemployment benefits
  • Garnishing accounts
  • Intercepting state and/or federal income tax refunds
  • Liens against bank accounts, workers’ compensation settlements, and real or personal property
  • Intercepting PERSI retirement benefits
  • Reporting to credit bureaus
  • Suspension or revocation of professional or occupational licenses
  • Suspension of driver’s license
  • Denial, suspension, or revocation of passports
  • Contempt or other court actions that may result in a jail sentence

In most cases, the Idaho Department of Health & Welfare Child Support Services helps parents obtain court enforcement of support orders without additional attorneys’ fees, but sometimes funds are beyond the reach of Child Support Services. If you are owed delinquent child support payments, a family lawyer from Foley Freeman is available to help you petition the court for enforcement of your court order.

Contact an Experienced Modification & Enforcement Attorney

If you need to pursue the modification or enforcement of a court order, please contact Foley Freeman to schedule a consultation. We will take the time to understand your unique circumstances, and determine the best way present your case to the court to achieve the desired result.